Creamy Chicken Enchilada Soup
Creamy Chicken Enchilada Soup is the perfect comfort food to keep you warm and cozy during the cold fall & winter months.
My daughter loves Creamy Chicken Enchilada Soup. The first few times I made chicken enchilada soup though, she’d get so excited when she saw it was on our menu for the week…. and then be so disappointed when it was time to eat.
After a few failed attempts she finally told me that she likes CREAMY chicken enchilada soup, not “brothy”. 😂
So after her telling me that, I created a chicken enchilada soup that uses heavy cream. Happily, the entire family loves the creamy version a lot better than the other versions I’ve made in the past.
If you like this recipe you might want to sign up here —> https://landing.mailerlite.com/webforms/landing/w9m3x9 so that you don’t miss any new recipes!
How to make Creamy Chicken Enchilada Soup
The recipe is extremely easy and straightforward, you can pretty much throw everything in the slow cooker and go about your day.
A can of diced tomatoes (I used diced tomatoes with green chilies), a can of corn, 1 medium yellow onion chopped, approximately 3 tbsp of minced garlic (I use the refrigerated kind), 2 large chicken breasts, 1 can of pinto beans (can sub for black beans), 1 can of enchilada sauce.
Toss it all in the slow cooker, add about 2 cups of chicken stock or broth. I’ve been using bone broth for my soups & stews lately because of all the health benefits, but every time I use chicken bone broth, my husband and I both think the soup or stew taste dirty. 🤷🏻♀️I don’t know if it’s the brand I’m using or what. So for chicken dishes, I stick with broth or stock.
Then set your slow cooker on high for about 5-6 hours, or until your chicken is fully cooked and falling apart with a fork. At this point, pour in 1-2 cups of heavy whipping cream.
While you are letting the soup heat back up, you can slice corn tortillas into strips, and fry them in a very small amount of oil in a skillet (I LOVE my cast iron skillet for things like this!). Once your tortilla strips are crispy, shred your chicken and you are ready to serve!
Optional toppings include:
- sour cream
- crispy tortilla strips (of course)
- freshly chopped cilantro
Creamy Chicken Enchilada SoupPrint Pin
- 2 large chicken breast
- 1 14.5 oz can corn
- 1 14.5 oz can pinto beans (black beans are ok too)
- 1 14 oz can red enchilada sauce
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 tbsp minced garlic
- 1-2 cups chicken stock or broth
- 1 cups heavy whipping cream
- 4 corn tortillas
- Toss everything except the heavy cream into a slow cooker for 5-6 hours.
- When the chicken is shredding easily with a fork, add the heavy cream.
- While the soup is heating back up in the slow cooker, heat a small amount of cooking oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Cut the corn tortillas into strips, fry in the oil until crispy, being careful not to burn. Flip halfway through cooking.
- Serve the soup with sour cream, guacamole, salsa, freshly chopped cilantro or crispy tortilla strips.
- Since different foods are different sizes, nutritional facts are approximate and may not be exact but they are as close to accurate as I can calculate.
Nutrition – (all nutritional values are approximate)
Other chicken enchilada recipes you might like: