Cajun Chicken, Sausage & Rice Stew
This chicken, sausage & rice stew is so full of delicious cajun flavors! Pair with crispy french bread and you’ve got yourself a full hearty meal!
It might not be traditional soup or stew season but this stew is great any time of year! And big surprise a ONE DISH DINNER! I mean seriously though?!?! One dish dinners are the BEST!
This stew is loaded with chicken, smoked turkey sausage, rice, spinach, and Cajun-inspired seasonings/spices! So much flavor going on in every single bite!
Bake some homemade bread or if that’s not your thing buy a crusty french bread loaf to pair with this stew. Dinner can be on the table in less than an hour total! (Not including bread baking time if you go the homemade route.)
Do you love one dish dinners? I certainly do! Not all of my recipes are one-dish dinners but LOTS of them are! Sign up here —> https://landing.mailerlite.com/webforms/landing/w9m3x9 so you won’t miss any new recipes!
How to make Cajun Chicken, Sausage, & Rice Stew
First of all, you need to heat a large dutch oven on medium-high heat with a bit of olive oil in the bottom. Then cut some chicken breasts into small bite-sized pieces. Dice one medium-sized onion. And chop up some celery. Then add all of those into the dutch oven. Add the spices. Cook until the chicken and vegetables are cooked through. While that is cooking, chop up one package of smoked turkey sausage, then add it to the dutch oven.
Next, you need to add the baby spinach, rice, and chicken broth. Turn off the stovetop heat, cover the dutch oven and bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
**NOTE I used already cooked rice I had in the fridge. You CAN add dry rice but please note that it will make the final cook time longer!**
Remove from oven when most of the liquid is absorbed. Serve immediately with crusty french bread!
If you like this recipe you might also like my recipe for Chicken Chickpea Pasta Soup.
Cajun Chicken, Sausage, & Rice StewPrint Pin
- 2 chicken breasts cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 package smoked turkey sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3-4 stalks celery
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 4 cups rice (I used already cooked)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion salt
- 1/2 tsp salt more or less to taste)
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350º. Heat dutch oven on stovetop over medium-high heat with about 1 tbsp olive oil.
- Cut chicken breast into bite-sized pieces, dice onion, and celery. Add all three to the hot dutch oven. Cook until chicken & vegetables are cooked through.
- Cube smoked turkey sausage, add to dutch oven along with baby spinach, chicken broth, and rice.
- Remove from stovetop heat, add the lid to the dutch oven and bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until the liquid is mostly absorbed. Remember this is a stew though, you want some liquid.
- Remove from oven and serve with crusty french bread immediately.
- I used leftover cooked rice for this recipe. You CAN use dry rice, but the cooking time in the oven will be longer and you will need more chicken broth.
Nutrition – (all nutritional values are approximate)
Do you love stew any time of year or only during the colder months?
Save for later!
Pinning for later or sharing this recipe with your friends is so appreciated!Simply click the share button of your choice over on the left ←.
You might like these chicken recipes: