Chicken Chickpea Pasta Soup
This healthy spin on classic chicken noodle soup is so delicious and comforting. Chickpea pasta is so good you won’t even miss the noodles!
I’ve been making strives to use healthier ingredients in our favorite recipes and to find new delicious recipes that are healthy.
It’s a long process and we often fail but ultimately I feel that if we are always moving in the right direction that is certainly better than just eating what we know is junk food and not helping our bodies be as healthy as possible.
BUT, at the same time, I am certainly no expert and we often eat things that wouldn’t be considered healthy no matter where you are or who you’re with.
I love a good classic chicken noodle soup. When I am sick, I ALWAYS want classic Campbell’s chicken noodle soup. I love it full strength with no dilution by water. But if you look at the nutrition label of said soup, you will see it is quite high in sodium and there’s a lot of “what is that” items on the ingredients list.
If you like this recipe you might want to sign up here —> https://landing.mailerlite.com/webforms/landing/w9m3x9so that you don’t miss any new recipes!
But, in an effort to still be able to enjoy chicken noodle soup and have good healthy ingredients, I decided to create my own recipe at home.
I was a little leary of the chickpea pasta, I have heard that non-traditional pasta can become very limp and mushy. But when I tried this chickpea pasta it was delicious and didn’t get mushy even with leftovers!
This is a pretty straightforward chicken soup recipe, most of the same ingredients except for the pasta in place of the noodles. Carrots, celery, onions, etc. I did use chicken stock and a little bit of beef bone broth for an added health benefit. I have tried many different brands of chicken BONE broth and I haven’t found one I liked yet. Beef bone broth, however, tastes great to me!!
If you like this recipe you might also like my Creamy Chicken Tortellini Soup recipe.
What is your favorite soup (or other food) to eat when you are sick?
Chicken and Chickpea Pasta Soup
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 oz box chickpea pasta I used Lensi brand
- 3-4 carrots, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1 medium onion
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 3 cups chicken stock (more as needed)
- 1 cup beef bone broth
- Olive oil
- 1 tsp pink hymilaian salt (regular white salt is fine too)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp onion salt
- Sautee onion and garlic in about 1 tbsp olive oil.
- Mix together the salts & peppers. Sprinkle onto the chicken and pat the seasoning so it sticks to the chicken. Make sure to do all sides. Set aside.
- Dice carrots and celery.
- Once the onions and garlic are soft and translucent with the edges turning golden, add all the ingredients into a slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 2 hours or low for 4 hours.
- Remove the chicken, shred using 2 forks or you can use a stand or hand mixer. If you use the mixer method to shred your chicken just be sure to not over “beat” the chicken or you’ll end up with some powdery chicken. (It’s gross.)
- Add the chicken back to the slow cooker. Serve and enjoy!
- You can also cook in a large pot or dutch oven for 30-45 minutes (or until the chicken is cooked through).
Save for later!
Pinning for later or sharing this recipe with your friends is so appreciated!
Simply click the share button of your choice over on the left ←.
Other chickpea pasta recipes you might like: