Caramelizing onions adds so much delicious flavor to this Creamy Chicken Tortellini Soup. This soup is comforting and filling. It’s sure to be a family favorite!
This is one of my favorite soups to make. Juicy chunks of chicken, soft carrots and celery, creamy broth, and cheese filled tortellini. This is comfort food at it’s finest.
One of the best things about this recipe is that it can be made on the stove top, or in the slow cooker! Most of the time I plan my meals out in advance, but sometimes I change my mind or forget that I need an additional ingredient. Having recipes that have the versatility to be cooked quickly, when I’m at home, or slowly all day, when I’m out of the house or simply busy at home are my favorite recipes to create.
How to make Creamy Chicken Tortellini Soup:
First, gather your ingredients:
- Chicken breasts, skin removed
- Cheese filled tortellini
- Heavy cream
- Chicken broth
- Salt & pepper
- Garlic Salt
Heat a dutch oven over
Next you need to trim your chicken and cut the breasts into chunks. (See recipe notes for slow cooker instructions)
Chop all your vegetables and cook the onions in olive oil until
Add your chicken broth, this will deglaze the oven, then add all the other ingredients except for the heavy cream. Cook for about 30-35 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are soft.
Add in the frozen cheese filled tortellini.
Slowly add in the cream. Heat through and you are done!
Have you ever added tortellini to soup?
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 2 chicken breasts skin removed, cut into chunks
- 1 cup carrots, chopped about 10 baby carrots or 3 regular
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 10 oz cheese tortellini I used frozen)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a dutch oven over medium-high heat. (My dutch oven is 7.5 qts)
- Add the chopped onion, cook until browned and caramelized.
- While the onion is cooking, cut the chicken into chunks and salt and pepper the chicken well.
- Once the onions are browned, reduce heat and slowly pour in the chicken broth, and add all the other ingredients except for the cream.
- Stir well. Cover and cook for 35-40 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Add the frozen tortellini and the cream. Cover and leave on medium heat for 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately.
Save for later!
Pinning for later or sharing this recipe with your friends is so appreciated!
Simply click the share button of your choice over on the left ←.